A favorite indulgence in the summer for kids and many adults is ICE CREAM!!!
Nothing beats cold ice cream on a warm summer day. :- )
However, dairy is a common food sensitivity for a lot of people. Roughly 75% of the world’s population is genetically unable to digest milk and other dairy products. This is known as lactose intolerance. By the way, you don’t have to lactose intolerance to benefit from giving up dairy…
You may see improvements with your sinuses, postnasal drip, headaches, irritable bowel syndrome, energy, and weight when you give up dairy.
Are You Sensitive to Dairy?
Someone may be sensitive to the carbohydrate component of dairy, lactose as mentioned above. The two protein components of dairy, whey and casein may also be the culprit. If you have not experimented with giving up all dairy for at least 21 days, I encourage you to do so. That means eliminate milk, cheese, yogurt, and ice cream for 3-4 weeks and notice if you feel better.
Then start re-introducing dairy again and see how you feel. If you feel worse, or symptoms come back, you should try to give it up for good. If you are looking for education, coaching, and support to determine if you have a dairy sensitivity, check out my 21 Day Detox Program.
Other common side effects of dairy include:
- Rumbling in the belly
- Skin Issues, flare-ups, acne
- Joint Pain
- Congestion and excess mucus
If you decide that your body tolerates dairy, choose raw grass-fed dairy.
Dairy Free Ice Cream Recipes
Making your own ice cream from coconut or almond milk is a wonderful alternative to dairy based ice cream. All you need is some whole food ingredients and an Ice Cream Maker. For some recipes, an ice cream maker is not required.
Benefits to making your own ice cream include:
- Having control over the amount of sugar and sweetener that is used.
- Avoiding food additives, thickeners, and emulsifiers in dairy free ice creams found in the grocery store.
- Engaging the whole family in making a delicious dessert using whole food ingredient.
Here are 10 Dairy Free Ice Cream Recipes to try this summer!
- French Vanilla Coconut Ice Cream
- “Peanut Butter” & Jelly Ice Cream
- Pea-not Butter Banana Ice Cream
- Paleo Butter Pecan Caramel Ice Cream
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream
- Paleo Chunky Monkey Ice Cream
- Vanilla Cashew Ice Cream
- Creamy Paleo Chocolate Ice Cream
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Coffee Ice Cream
Enjoy these delicious recipes!
HAVE FAITH & TAKE ACTION!
Janell Yule, BS, CPT, FDN-P
Chief Nutrition Officer
The Transformation Club