Yesterday, I introduced this idea that BELIEFS ARE DECISIONS…and that you can just make a new decision whenever you want.
“The most powerful distinction in personal development is that beliefs are decisions.” – David Bayer
You believe that you’re not good enough because at some point in life you decided that. So, make a new decision now that you are good enough.
You believe that money is hard to make because at some point in life you decided that. So, make a new decision now that money flows easily to you.
You believe that you’re just not meant to have a healthy and fit body because at some point in life you decided that. So, make a new decision now that health and fitness is your thing.
“The principle of life is that life responds by corresponding. Your life becomes the thing you have decided it to be.” – Raymond Charles Barker
This all sounds good, right?
Maybe a little woo-woo?
Well, it’s actually science…
The decisions YOU MAKE about life shape your experiences (remember the 5 Primary Drivers), as well as shape the neurophysiology of your brain!
The decisions YOU MAKE literally alter the structure of the neural pathways of the brain.
Decisions are the ultimate “mind hack.”
Let’s put this into practice though…
- Pick something you really, really want to do/be/have that’s not in your current reality.
- Identify the limiting belief(s) that immediately pop up. These are the reasons you tell yourself it’s not possible.
- Make a NEW, empowering decision. It could be as simple as being the opposite of your limiting belief.
- Identify any shred of evidence (no matter how small) that your new decision could be true. If you absolutely can’t find anything, identify it in someone else (if they can do it so can you!).
Alright, let’s run this through an example. Let’s go with fitness…
- WANT = To feel healthy and fit, and be happy with my body.
- LIMITING BELIEFS = I’m not enough. I’ve always been fat. Eating healthy is hard. I’m too busy to workout.
- NEW DECISION = I am enough. Self-care is important to me because I want to be the best version of myself and ‘show-up’ each day.
- EVIDENCE = I did that transformation challenge that one time and had really great results. I’ve been drinking the recommended amount of water for the last 3 months (most days). I rarely go to fast food restaurants anymore; it used to be a daily occurrence for lunch.
Now, as you start to recognize evidence that your new decision could be true (take off the blinders from the old decision that have been filtering all other options out) it starts to feel more comfortable, even exciting!
This is when the magic starts to happen. As I mentioned yesterday, when you make a new decision:
- You access new ideas. You open your mind to new possibilities and fresh ideas begin to flow!
- You change your perception of reality (enroll your reticular activating system).
- You activate the power of coincidence. It’s amazing how things just start to “come to you.”
I challenge you to run your BIG wants through the above exercise. Identify those nasty limiting beliefs (maybe even identify where they came from), flip the script with a new, empowering decision, and then prove to yourself that this could be true with whatever bit of evidence you can gather up from your past and present.
HAVE FAITH & TAKE ACTION!
By the way, if you truly can’t find any evidence to back up your current decision AND it’s something you truly want, hold onto it… Visualize it. Get really clear. As you “rewire your brain” things will eventually come up.
Oh, one more thing…
This isn’t some sit on your butt and wait for it to come on its own program. As those new ideas flow and coincidences start to occur you have to TAKE ACTION on them!